CURAÇAO GOLF & SQUASH CLUB
Curaçao Golf & Squash Club Emmastad
The Curaçao Golf & Squash Club Emmastad is a small club with approximately 600 members. The golf course consists of 18-holes with a par 70, 10 greens that are set in a brilliant oasis of tranquility, rare trees, bushes, birds (wild doves and parrots) and reptiles (iguanas).
The Curaçao Golf & Squash Club Emmastad is a very active club where matches are organized almost daily. Because of its convenient location (in the Caribbean with lots of sun and easily reachable) many golfers have migrated to Curaçao which has resulted in the fact that the level of the average golfer is high.
Because of the excellent climate in Curaçao, one can golf daily from 06.00 hrs. - 19:00 hrs. and the almost always sunny weather combined with the ever present sea breeze, make golfing at the Curaçao Golf & Squash Club a very pleasant sporting occasion.
The Club and the sport of golf in Curaçao can be pleased with the growing interest of younger individuals and therefore special attention is given to the development of the sport among the youth.
Around 1930, golf was introduced to Curaçao by a group of English golf enthusiasts who were working for the Mining Company and who would regularly hit balls on a very primitively built 9-hole golf course on the Tafelberg at Santa Barbara. After some Shell employees had shown interest combined with the increasing awareness of large companies that sport and recreation is important for its employees, a piece of land next to the headquarters of the Shell was used for the construction of a golf course by golf architect Simpson. As part of the design, the existing native Manzaliña- and Tamarind trees, the fairytale Flamboyant tree as well as cacti and the very rare Copernica were spared.
In 1931, the Curaçao Golf & Squash Club was born under the name Shell Golf Club. Originally, the board consisted of the local management of Shell and the Golf Club was accessible only to employees of Shell, even though, secretly non-Shell employees interested in golf were admitted to the course.
The unique aspect of that course was the fact that, due to a shortage of water, 'brownies' (sand mixed with oil and white spirit), were build instead of greens. In 1976 the first squash courts were opened on the property of the Golf Club. This emphasized the sport-loving character of the members of the Club.
In March 1985 Shell left Curaçao and the current name was adopted. In 2003, the Curacao Golf & Squash Club underwent a true facelift when at the end of that year all the brownies were replaced with proper greens. This allowed the Club to measure itself against other golf courses in the world.
Click here for the Emmastad Curacao Golf & Squash Club website.